Monday 16 January 2017

Welcome to my blog!


Welcome to my blog! 

Dear readers, for those of you who don’t know me, my name is Julie and I would like to invite you to join me on my first real foray into blogging. I say “real’ because I started to blog last January 1st which marked the first day of my 50th year but in my techno innocence, chose the wrong blog host. From March til May I was unable to access the site at will and then it crashed completely in June and I lost several blog posts to the cyber nether-regions.  (Thank goodness I began copying them into Word documents, I only lost four…it could have been worse)! While much of my blog last year was a commitment to challenging myself during my 50th year on this planet, which I might add was rather successful, I’d like to continue with one of my BIG 50 ideas, using this blog as its forum.

The challenge that I was most excited about from my 50th year, and what I planned on blogging about was this: I planned on reading 50, count ‘em, 50 books last year.  After I told my sister, we had a good laugh and then she suggested I might want to start with half that and go from there. At the time I thought she was probably right. After all, she is older and wiser and over 50 (sorry sis, I couldn’t resist!) A book a week with two weeks wiggle room to play catch up did seem a bit extreme. But if I was going to do it, I might as well attempt the full 50. My own full Monty, if you will!

Now that my 50th year is complete I must confess, dear reader that for a person with a life, 50 books was an insane amount of books to get through. I’m not a book editor.  I don’t do this for a living. I teach elementary music to children in Grade 1-6, I’m a newly published author (check out Erosion: a novel), I have a new husband and recently moved to a new city so life is busy, as it is for all of us. 

So here’s my commitment to you, O wonderful blog reader(s): I will write my own version of a review for each book and will post 50 book review blogs before December 31st, 2017. The reviews will be a combination of new books that I will read this year and books that I read for my BIG 50 whose reviews sat on my computer due to my blog crash. These will be novels or biographies (not reading material for work, sorry “This is Your Brain on Music”.  You will not make it onto my night table!) These books must be new-to-me books, ones that I’ve never read before.  I will attempt to step outside my favorite genres (the classics like Austen and Bronte or historical fiction like the Outlander series) and favorite authors (Kate Morton and Sue Monk Kidd, and there’s always Julie M…sorry, I couldn’t resist another plug for my own book, Erosion). My first review will appear in the next few days as I’ve already finished reading my first book.  Yeah, me!

If you’ve made it all the way to this point, dear reader, you have my gratitude for reading and my sincere apologies. Know that I will try to shorten my posts as I go along, as this is not the forum to write my next novel. I will keep you updated on my book count and latest review. Until the next time…have you read a book today?

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment