Thursday 9 March 2017

#7 The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware


The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware



Don’t you find dear reader, that we tend to gravitate towards the same genre, even the same author every time we visit the local bookstore?  In my attempt to step outside my reading comfort zone for this blog, I stumbled upon this book which I would classify as suspense; a genre which is definitely not my first choice of reading material unless the mystery is a classic author like Agatha Christie.



The Woman in Cabin 10 captivated my attention from the beginning, opening with a memory of a dream, insisting that the narrator stop digging. Cue the dramatic music! From there we meet Laura or Lo, a travel journalist with a desire to impress her boss.  Just days after a horrific event leaves her life shattered and drinking excessively, Lo embarks on an assignment to cover the inaugural cruise of a luxury liner ill-prepared to do her job. On the first night, when she should be schmoozing with the other guests, she drinks heavily, still reeling from her traumatic experience. After hearing something that goes bump in the night, she has reason to believe a passenger has been murdered and the body dumped overboard. In her attempts to find out what happened, Laura’s own weaknesses emerge as doubt arises but when she discovers evidence is missing and receives messages to stop digging, echoing her dream, she pursues her investigation and stumbles upon a nightmarish mystery full of twists and turns that leaves the reader wondering which guest did it.  Very Agatha Christie!



This was a book I couldn’t put down and if it wasn’t for the demands of work and family, I would have read it in one shot.  As it was, I stayed up way too late on more than a few nights unable to stop reading. Next time you’re in your favorite bookstore, dear reader, I highly recommend you add this book to your purchases.  Until next time…have you read a book today?



Julie


No comments:

Post a Comment