Friday 28 April 2017

#12 Ed Sheeran A Visual Journal by Ed Sheeran and Phillip Butah


#12 Ed Sheeran A Visual Journal by Ed Sheeran & Phillip Butah

I don’t presume to know your likes and interests, dear reader. What I do know is that if you’re reading this blog, you must enjoy reading books and are perhaps looking to read something new, a book you won’t regret spending your hard earned money on. I enjoy music.  I teach elementary music by day and try to have fun making music by night. As a musician, I do tend to gravitate toward musical memoirs to which I seem to be on a bit of a kick lately (having just reviewed Bruce Springsteen’s Born to Run) and I have a few more memoirs waiting to be read. 

I bought this book for my daughter for Christmas a while back due to her enjoyment of Ed Sheeran’s music and her love of artwork. His memoir is very easy to read and describes his life, how he learned music and his early influences leading to the artist we know and love today.  I always enjoy learning about how an artist gets their start, the struggles they’ve encountered learning their craft and the journey they’ve had getting to where they are now. Ed writes in a very casual, straight forward way giving the reader a sense of the man himself. He seems like the kind of guy you can share a pint with at a local pub, completely lacking the snobbery of the unapproachable hyper-famed stars of today.

All the artwork, with the exception of the photographs (which were supplied by Ed and his family) is by Phillip Butah. An extremely talented artist, his images are rendered in a variety of mediums: ink, colored as well as black & white pastel, watercolor, wax pencils and graphite. While some became cover art used for Ed’s albums, majority of the art captures Ed throughout the years by Phillip who is a family friend and artist represented by his parents. Music and Art. The best of friends. Until next time...have you read a book today?

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment