Sunday 29 October 2017

#25 The Impossible Lives of Greta Wells by Andrew Sean Greer


#25 The Impossible Lives of Greta Wells by Andrew Sean Greer

If you’re the kind of reader that only reads the latest and greatest, then dear reader, this blog is likely not for you. While I do keep an eye out for new releases and have read and reviewed a few since beginning this blog, I tend to roam the book store rather aimlessly carrying my phone so that I can check my “books that I’ll buy someday” list.  I’ve been compiling this list for some time and so it is rather extensive. Yet every time I go book hunting I come home with random books that aren’t on my list and have simply spoken to me by way of interesting title or cover and then piqued my interest with the synopsis.  I located this book in the discount section and after forking over my $5 and reading it over the course of a few days, I recognized it as a book that I would have paid more for.

The year is 1985 and Greta is mourning the loss of her twin brother Felix. Sadly in her grief, she neglects her partner Nathan of ten years. Rather than being patient and accepting of her grief, he takes a lover and when Greta discovers his betrayal she spirals further into the darkness. After months of therapy without any improvement, Greta turns to electroconvulsive therapy which leaves her disoriented and contemplating visions of an old-fashioned world which she assumes are memories being sparked by the treatment. Her last thought before drifting off to sleep is wishing that her brother’s death had never happened.  Upon waking, she discovers it is 1918 and all the characters of her life are there; her eccentric Aunt Ruth, Nathan who is her husband in this life and has gone off to war, as well as her beloved brother Felix.  With each treatment the time Greta lives in changes too (the next treatment takes Greta to 1941 and then back to her own time). When modern Greta realizes that the other Greta’s are travelling as well, she realizes that they must help each other make changes in each others lives and learn the lessons needed for survival before the final treatment is complete or risk being trapped in a different time and different life forever.

There is such sadness in each Greta as they struggle with the boundaries, the rules and the questions of her time and yet there is also much hope.  We see how each of the Greta’s life and times shape who they are as women as do the characters that share her lives, each varied and flawed providing new insight and meaning for the travelling trio. This is an elegant book, written with rich and varied characters’ that plays on your emotions, pulling you into their lives and demanding you to think about the paths not taken. 

In addition to a wonderful storyline there are some very deep truths scattered throughout this book. One that resonated deeply with me appeared on p. 39:

“There is a truth that everyone knows but you. Each of us has it; no one is immune. Not a secret, not a scandal, but something simple and obvious to everyone else.  It can be as simple as losing weight, or as difficult as leaving a husband. How awful, to sense that everyone knows the thing that would change your life, and yet no one is friend enough to tell you? You are left to guess it all by yourself. Until the moment comes when it reveals itself to you, and of course this revelation always comes a moment too late.”

This hit very close to home for me, making me stop and reflect before moving on.  Each Greta has a different perspective on the others’ lives because of her own perspective and it is also true that people in our lives see clearly what it is we cannot see, because of their distance, knowledge and perspective. I wasn’t expecting to find hidden wisdom yet there it was, staring me in the face, daring me to recognize it and connect it to my own life.  And, dear reader isn’t that one of the many joys of reading? To be able to relate to characters or situations, find similarities and make connections, to expand our thinking, to see a life so different from our own and admire or empathize with it? 

We all have our own reasons for reading, for choosing the books that we do and whatever your reasons, I’m just happy that you are taking time for yourself. There’s nothing like a good book, a glass/cup of _____ (insert your beverage of choice!) to bring a little peace and balance to your life. Until next time…have your read book today?

Julie


No comments:

Post a Comment