Wednesday 14 June 2017

#15 Yes Please by Amy Poehler


#15 Yes Please by Amy Poehler

I love SNL! Who doesn’t? But I must confess…I haven’t watched it regularly in years so I’ve only seen Amy in the odd sketch and in her movies. Still, I knew this would be an enjoyable book and a nice change from what I usually read. While I expected a memoir that included her childhood and the influence of her parents as well as her early attempts at comedy and how she landed on SNL, I wasn’t expecting to be immersed in rules for life according to Amy. 

Through a series of essays, haikus and quotes that could become mantras for living, the book is filled with advice that is often gutsy and raw yet always sensible and hilarious as only Amy could be. Her voice is authentic and her stories funny.  Her thoughts seem to spill onto the page as they form in her mind; chaotic at times when they form one long run-on sentence that exudes frenetic urgency or at other times, clear and concise anecdotes filled with lucid insights on what she’s learned on her journey toward a life as a stand-up comedian. 

Yes Please would be a delightful book to read on the beach this summer. Until next time...have you read a book today? 

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment