Friday 30 June 2017

#19 Come Barbarians by Todd Babiak


#19 Come Barbarians by Todd Babiak  

For your information, dear reader, I chose Come Barbarians largely because of the author.  Todd Babiak is a local boy, local in that he worked for the Edmonton Journal for 10 years and currently calls Edmonton home.  He has written other novels, two of which I’ve read and thoroughly enjoyed; Toby: A Man and The Garneau Block with its obvious reference to the community in central Edmonton.  I hadn’t read a review of Come Barbarians and hadn’t a clue what it was about but thought I’d enjoy it simply because I have enjoyed books by this author in the past. We tend to do that as readers, don’t we? We choose books by a particular author only because we’ve enjoyed their literary offerings and make assumptions about their future output then cross our fingers hoping that we’ll enjoy the novel and the money we’ve spent will have not been wasted.  Fortunately for me, this book was a winner and I’m so glad I had it on radar.
As I began reading the first few chapters, I became somewhat shocked by the unfolding of the plot. Not that the premise of the book is all that shocking: Christopher Kruse moves to France to become a better man and a better husband as well as to escape his past that has caused his marriage to break down and his wife to feel alienated.  After a horrific accident followed by the disappearance of his wife, he is drawn into a political web that forces him to draw on the skills from his past (those of the protective services kind) in order to stay a step ahead of the French police and the Corsican mob. No heart palpitations in the outline, dear reader? Whew! My shock stemmed from the fact that I simply hadn’t been expecting a gangster book. It is a fast-paced novel featuring a life that I’ve only seen in mob movies.   Filled with its share of conspiracy theories and the darkest impulses of man, it describes human violence rather graphically which is what I hadn’t been expecting. Despite my initial shock, I continued reading and found myself eager to discover the outcome of Christopher’s game of le chat et souris (cat and mouse).

Had this been a movie (and it really should be), I likely would have turned it off or at least averted my gaze rather than watch the brutal acts against man.  Knowing Hollywood producers today, there would have been too much gore for my delicate eyes. But despite writing about truly awful things, the author manages to temper this inhumanity with the softness of a father’s poignant recollections and uses these memories as a means of rooting his character to humanity, instead of allowing him to succumb to his savage instincts. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys thrillers. Until next time… have you read a Canadian book today?

Julie




No comments:

Post a Comment